We’re supporting Highways England’s new ‘Go Left’ campaign. They’ve put together some simple steps to help keep you safe if you break down on a motorway.
The one thing to always remember? Go left.
Here’s their advice.
If you break down on the motorway:
- Put your LEFT indicators on
- Move into the LEFT lane
- Exit LEFT at the next junction/services, or
- Exit LEFT into an emergency area or hard shoulder
- Put your hazards lights on
- Get behind a safety barrier where there is one, and keep well away from moving traffic
- Call Highways England on 0300 123 5000 then a breakdown provider for help
If you cannot do the above, or in an emergency, stay in your vehicle, keep seatbelts and hazard lights on. Then call 999 immediately.
To find out more, visit the Highways England website.